What is the music coming to?

I'd like to preface this post by reminding everyone that I am 25 years old, not 80.

That being said, what the hell is this world coming to? I kid you not, on the radio this morning I heard a song that had these lyrics:

Shorty's like a melody in my head that I can't keep out
Got me singing na na na na na na na na everyday
It's like an iPod stuck on replay

(It probably ups the funny quotient even more if you actually read it in your head with an 80 year old man's voice.....)

Elsewhere in the song he sings about how he met his "Shorty" at the mall and about how he's in the kitchen cooking her things that she likes, later failing to rhyme the word 'likes' with 'wife.'

So you're such a bad songwriter that the only melody you can think of to accompany the feelings that you have for your Shorty is fairly monotone and sung with a 'na'? And you're comparing it to a broken iPod? If I was Shorty I would not be impressed.

Really? This is what music is now?

What ever happened to song lyrics that actually meant something? I know that every song in the American music canon can't be chock full of meaning and symbolism and messages about the current state of affairs, but this is just ludicrous. And I like a good, silly, meaningless pop song as much as the next girl, but please. It's like these people weren't even trying. At least be entertaining. Don't be a song where I'm just waiting to hear the ridiculousness of the next word and marveling at your inability to use words correctly in your vocabulary.

Side note: I got an email yesterday at work where this lady (who was also using selective capital letters as I do to make a point--but doing it incorrectly) kept using the word 'fallacy' in her email, but put into the context of her sentence it was clear that she had no idea what the word 'fallacy' meant. Word of the day toilet paper isn't for everyone.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment