Apple a day my ass

Today was the first day that I've hated my new computer. Hated like the way that you hate that girl in high school who never had to wear the same outfit twice and always had the perfect hair and designer makeup and an expensive car. But she was really nice and so you felt bad to hate her, but you still hated her and wanted to throw her out a window? That's how I hated my computer today. But I didn't throw it out the window, just like I never threw that girl out of the window, because I'm better than that.

The impetus to this font of hate was my feeble attempt to transfer my iTunes library from my old crappy computer to the new computer. I thought I was being so good, I went to the Apple website and everything, and I was following the directions, following the directions, followng the directions, but nothing would go right. If I had some blank CDs, this would have been a much easier process. But I didn't, so I followed the directions to use my iPod as a hard disk to transfer the music. Except that's where the Apple directions turned into a total FAIL. And I'd just like to note here that I have the newest version of iTunes on my computer. And the Apple website directions are for the newest version. FYI. So it tells me for the new computer that I need to backup the things that I have in that iTunes library so they don't get erased when I load the new music on there. Okay, simple enough. So it says to go File>>Library>>Consolidate Library. EXCEPT THERE WAS NO 'CONSOLIDATE LIBRARY.' Way to suck, directions. So there was no way for me to save my new music, which totally sucks because I have about $45 of recently downloaded music on the new computer. So I chose the next best option, which was Export Library, so something like that, and saved a copy of it in a different folder. I think that works, right?

Then, the directions wanted me to move the original iTunes Library folder on to my desktop. This is where the window came in. The computer wouldn't let me do it. No matter how hard I tried. It kept saying that I needed administrator permission to do it, except I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR, so what the fuck?

I'd like to also mention that at this point I was about three hours into this project. Three hours in because everytime I tried to copy the iTunes folder from the old computer onto the iPod, it would copy copy copy copy for about 10 minutes then tell me the disk was full. So I'd have to cancel it, make the folder smaller, and try again. And then it would do the same thing. Again and again and again and again and again and aren't you as frustrated at my computer after reading all of this as I am? Because if you aren't, you have no soul.

At this point, I do what I always do when computer problems have me down, and I called my Dad. Daddy. The man who, despite being 2300 miles away, can fix everything. HE COULDN'T FIX THIS. He also laughed and told me that I could just download a program on the old computer that is already on my new computer that would allow me to hook a USB cord between the two and transfer all the files I wanted. Of course, Apple never told me this because Apple wants ALL PC USERS TO DIE.

At this point, I just aborted the whole project, because the only thing you should ever spend over three hours on is the director's cut of Titanic. Or The Lord of the Rings. Both were pretty cool. Or childbirth. NOT FUCKING WITH YOUR ITUNES LIBRARY.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment