In which I was a Total Vodka Drunk Ass

Edgar and I had a house-warming gathering at our apartment last night. I say 'gathering' because saying 'house-warming party' wouldn't really be an accurate description of what it was. 'Party' implies craziness, and besides me getting into too much vodka, there wasn't really any craziness. 'Party' also implies tons of people, which there weren't either. We actually just had six guests, but that was all we needed. I think that implies good friendship, because even though some had never met each other before, everyone got along and had a great time. With drinks. And sugar cookies. I'm a good hostess.

One person that I was very excited to see last night was my old friend Jason. I sometimes feel like a horrible friend because Jason and I see each other so rarely. The last time I saw him, literally, was Super Bowl Sunday. That was eight months ago, for those of you that are counting. Jason is the reason that my life is what it is now. I met Jason when I lived in Indiana. We worked together in a call center for an insurance company, and while the job sucked, and often made me want to rip my hair out, my friendship with Jason was the good thing that came out of it. He was originally from California, and had transferred to Indianapolis as a supervisor to open that office, but when we found out that our office was closing in 2006 he decided to move back. And he took me with him. I was at a bad point in my life at that time. I had been in a one-sided relationship with a man that took advantage of my feelings and dashed my self esteem. I drank alone, finding my cold comfort in bad wine and vodka. I needed a change, and Jason was my life preserver. Our company offered us relocation expenses; he offered me a place to stay at a good price. He also introduced me to TiVo, and to that, I will always be grateful. TIVO IS LIFE.

I'll be the first to admit I'm bad at keeping in touch with people. Which is kind of ironic since I've been so diligent in keeping this blog. But I'm too lazy to pick up the phone and make a call. My parents will vouch for this. So once Edgar and I moved out of the house where I lived with Jason, our contact was sporadic. It's ridiculous on my part because Jason and I get along so well. He's also had a really bad year, and I'm sorry that I haven't been there for him for the things that he's gone through.

We had a great night, though, and he even ended up crashing on our couch. THAT is friendship, when you haven't seen someone in eight months and you're all "Stay! I beg you, stay! I'm going to give you another drink now so that you can't leave!" If I had my way, all of our guests would have been sleeping on random pieces of furniture in our apartment.

Like I said, I'm a good hostess.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment