To Kill a Mockingbird

I'm currently reading "To Kill a Mockingbird," and I have to say that I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. My main memory of it is watching the movie in eighth grade English class. Yes, we watched the movie, but didn't read the book. THAT, my friends, is some quality education.

Even the movie I don't remember much about. I remember Gregory Peck being super handsome back in his young days. And I remember the way the little girl that played Scout said "Atticus." She would stretch the "-cus" into this shade-too-long syllable with a pitch change in the middle. No one in eighth grade pulled any themes out of the movie; the only thing that we got from it was a week of kids saying "Atticu-us."

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the book. Despite the serious nature of the events that it describes, it's actually really funny. Harper Lee writes the thoughts of an eight or nine year old kid very well.

I'm in the middle of an endeavor right now. I have a list numbering somewhere around 500 books that I want to read. My current plan of attack is taking the list to the library, randomly picking a book on it, and checking it out. I'm excited about moving to our new place tomorrow because the Long Beach library is only about a half mile walk from our apartment, and it looks bigger than the Covina public library that I've been using lately. I'll try to keep track here in my posts of what the current book is.

My PSA for the day: Adults, get your kids library cards. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment